Snow that fell in the middle of the night in Anthem and elsewhere in the North Valley, remained on roofs, grassy areas and other cool surfaces at daybreak today amid a storm that set records for rainfall in Phoenix and snow in Flagstaff. The storm has dumped a whopping 1.5 inches of rain in Tramonto and Sonoran Foothills so far. [See updates and UPLOAD YOUR IMAGES to the North Phoenix News Facebook page.]
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) February 22, 2019
Rainfall so far during the storm, as of Noon Friday, was more than 1 inch north and west of Anthem, 1.7 inches in Tramonto, 1.5 inches in Sonoran Foothills, and 1.4 inches in Norterra. All those would likely be records for the date if such records stretched back far enough to declare such, but they don’t.
Also, it is not known whether the precipitation from yesterday’s dime-sized hail, which stripped leaves from trees and destroyed at least one vegetable garden (photos below), was fully counted in area rain gauges.
Among other storm notes:
- Sky Harbor Airport broke the rainfall record for the date, surpassing 1973 with 0.74 inches yesterday.
- Flagstaff yesterday set a new all-time record for snowfall on any given day, with 35.9 inches.
- The Arizona Department of Public Safety responded to more than 400 calls for stuck vehicles and slide-offs on roadways in the northern districts of the state, plus 76 crashes.
I-17 northbound re-opened at around Noon Friday. It had been closed from the Sedona turnoff to Flagstaff. Several other roadways in the high country were closed (see below).
See updates and UPLOAD YOUR IMAGES to the North Phoenix News Facebook page.
Other road closures this morning, according to ADOT:
- SR 89A is closed in both directions between Sedona and Flagstaff.
- SR 87 is closed in both directions from Payson to Winslow. SR 87 is closed in both directions between Bush Highway and Payson.
- SR 260 is closed in both directions between Star Valley and Heber. SR 260 is closed in both directions from just east of I-17 to SR 87.
- US 60 is closed in both directions between SR 73 and just northeast of Globe.
- SR 77 is closed in both directions between Globe and Winkelman.
- US 191 is closed in both directions between Alpine and Morenci.
And finally: Some relief in sight:
Oh, the Views!
Watch Daisy Mountain turn beautiful colors as day turns to night from your covered patio, great room, living room, bedroom…! By nightfall, this luxury home high on the hillside looks onto the twinkling city lights of Anthem below.
5 BEDS | 4 BATHS | 4-CAR GARAGE | 3,774 SQFT | $698,000
3308 W ADAMANDA Drive, Desert Hills
Call 623-297-2557 or CLICK TO LEARN MORE