Daisy Mountain Fire Department is proud to present Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training.
Developed by the Department of Homeland Security for Local Community Preparedness, this 24 hours of training is provided FREE of charge. This class is tailored to the Phoenix area and more specifically, the Daisy Mountain communities. Training is open to anyone who is at least 18 years old.
8 consecutive Thursday evenings
Beginning March 1st, 2018
7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
(You must attend all 8 sessions to receive a certificate of completion. There is also a ninth evening of class for anyone who needs to makeup a missed class.)
Homes for Sale in 85085, 85086 & 85087
Prickett Realty, serving Anthem & North Phoenix
Daisy Mountain Fire Department Station 141
43814 N New River Road
New River AZ 85087 (map)
To register go to https://goo.gl/Cr4v7G or for more information contact Paul Schickel at 623-695-1424 or by email at Paul.Schickel@DMFD.org.
CERT Training will teach participants to:
1. Describe the types of hazards most likely to affect their homes and communities.
2. Describe the function of CERT and their roles in immediate response.
3. Take steps to prepare themselves for a disaster.
4. Identify and reduce potential fire hazards in their homes and workplaces.
5. Work as a team to apply basic fire suppression strategies, resources, and safety measures to extinguish a burning liquid.
6. Apply techniques for opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating shock.
7. Conduct triage under simulated conditions.
8. Perform head-to-toe assessments.
9. Select and set up a treatment area.
10. Employ basic treatments for various wounds.
11. Identify planning and size-up requirements for potential search and rescue situations.
12. Describe the most common techniques for searching a structure.
13. Use safe techniques for debris removal and victim extrication.
14. Describe ways to protect rescuers during search and rescue.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency began promoting nationwide use of the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) concepts in 1994. In 2004, Daisy Mountain Fire Department formed its own CERT to assist the communities of Anthem, Desert Hills and New River.
CERT training promotes a partnering effort between emergency services and the people that they serve. The goal is for emergency personnel to train members of neighborhoods, community organizations, or workplaces in basic response skills. CERT members are then integrated into the emergency response capability for their area.
If a disastrous event overwhelms or delays the community’s professional response, CERT members can assist others by applying the basic response and organizational skills that they learned during training. These skills can help save and sustain lives following a disaster until help arrives.
CERT members maintain and refine their skills by participating in exercises and activities. They can attend supplemental training offered by Daisy Mountain Fire Department and other organizations to further their skills. CERT members may also volunteer for projects that improve community emergency preparedness.