North Phoenix News provides breaking news and in-depth analysis of neighborhoods, schools, businesses and real estate in NoPho, the North Phoenix I-17 corridor from Norterra to New River, including Anthem, Desert Hills, the Tramonto area and the Sonoran Foothills area. Our news and feature stories are reported, written and edited by us. To provide the many communities of North Phoenix with as much useful and interesting information as possible, we also publish selected press releases, here. If you have a press release or a news tip, let us know.
Residents of the greater Phoenix metro area set a new all-time high for electricity use Tuesday, as Arizona dealt with blistering temperatures. Both major utilities in the region saw record power use.
Peak electricity usage by APS customers yesterday, June 19, was 7,120 megawatts. That surpassed the 7,051 megawatts recorded June 19 last year, which was the earliest in the year “in a long time” that the utility had seen usage that high, said APS spokesperson Annie DeGraw.
Mosquitoes are less prevalent in North Phoenix and elsewhere in Maricopa County so far this year compared to last. But they’re annoying some people more than ever, especially with the proliferation of a nonnative pest that will suck your blood any time of day.
After a record-tying 118 degrees Monday, Sky Harbor Airport could reach 120 today. Deer Valley Airport in North Phoenix is expected to reach 118 degrees today. Anthem, nearer the mountains and at a higher elevation, has a forecasted high of 115.
An intriguing 40-acre development near Sonoran Foothills in North Phoenix plans a dog park, community pool and splash pad — plus a neighborhood shopping plaza to include an as-yet-unnamed grocery store.
A wildfire north of Phoenix forced closure of the southbound lanes of I-17 briefly Sunday evening, causing a backup as Valley residents were heading home.
While the National Weather Service sticks to its prediction of a record-setting 120-degree day on Tuesday at Sky Harbor Airport — for now anyway — the forecasted high temperatures in NoPho have been moderated by a couple degrees. Further lowering of predicted highs is possible, North Phoenix News has learned.
ADOT aims to widen I-17 to three lanes north of Anthem Way, plus build “reversible lanes” on the 8-mile grade between Black Canyon City and Sunset Point. Friday, the State Transportation Board approved a five-year plan that includes funding for design and construction.
At least 130 people died in Maricopa County last year due to the heat. It was almost exactly a year ago that four hikers died on four different trails near Phoenix and Tucson during a record-setting heat wave. Heat is the state’s No. 1 weather-related killer, and the current heat wave will likely topple last year’s records.
It may come as little consolation, but when temperatures surge near or beyond record levels across the region in the next few days, most of NoPho will be slightly less scorching than downtown Phoenix. Especially at night.
If you’re looking to chill out for an hour or two with the kids, check out the synthetic ice skating rink set up at the Shops at Norterra through Aug. 6. The small rink is open for general skating or can be reserved for private parties.
Daisy Mountain Fire Department responds to about 3,500 calls a year. Some 85 percent of them are medical emergencies. The remaining 15 percent are rescues, snake removals, hazardous materials calls and fires. And the fires can be almost anywhere.