5 Ways to Fight Aging
I was talking with a friend recently about how our bodies have changed as we have aged. While this is not a sexy subject, it is very important. With age, muscle mass declines and bone density drops. Metabolism slows and we gain fat easier than when we were younger. Speed, flexibility and mobility decline. Here are ways to help slow down the aging process and keep you physically capable.
1. Start exercising right now. Make time for yourself and make it a priority. Working out with weights keeps muscles strong and helps with bone density. Building muscle burns fat, speeding up metabolism.
2. Take your time and start slow. Otherwise you may get sick on your first visit to the gym. If you work with a trainer or coach, listen to them. A good trainer will know exactly when it is time to step things up and do more. If they tell you to slow down, it is because they are looking out for your safety.
3. Get back to healthy natural foods. Highly processed foods are bad for you, including being hard to digest and slowing you down. Look for foods in their most natural form and cook your own food as often as possible. Avoid foods that say “fat free.” Healthy fats are good for you, and foods that eliminate fat usually have unhealthy byproducts to improve taste.
4. Stretching is absolutely necessary. Stretching those muscles will help you move better, and no matter your age, you can increase mobility and flexibility. Use tools like foam rollers and exercise bands to help keep your body moving.
5. Be positive. I have quite a few members who are over 70 years old who are absolute rock stars in the gym, and one thing that they all have in common is positivity. A positive mindset can get you further than just about anything else. So keep a great can-do attitude and you will definitely be able to tackle your fitness goals—no matter your age.