DVUSD Extends Spring Break Amid State Schools Closure
Deer Valley Unified School District made this statement March 17:
Dear DVUSD Parents & Guardians,
We hope that you and your family are staying safe during this truly unique time in our history. As promised, we are providing you with an update regarding Arizona’s statewide closure of schools. DVUSD will extend our Spring Break for an additional week (Monday, March 23 – Friday, March 27).
This is consistent with Governor Ducey’s order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and close all Arizona schools until at least March 27, 2020. If the closure is extended, we will communicate that information to you as soon as possible. We know that the closure of our schools has a major impact on our families. DVUSD Administration have been engaged in emergency planning and would like to share the following updates:
- DVUSD school nurses and administration will be available at each campus location in case parents wish to pick up essential student medications. Parents should go to the front office of their child’s school from 3 to 5 pm on Tuesday, March 24 or from 8 to 10 am on Wednesday, March 25. During these times, we will practice social distancing. One family member at a time will be allowed in the nurse’s office to pick up medications.
- DVUSD Food & Nutrition will offer free grab-and-go school breakfasts and lunches to children ages 18 and in our community beginning Monday, March 23. Meals will be distributed from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm Monday – Friday at DVUSD school and community locations. Please visit www.dvusd.org/food for program details.
- All DVUSD on-site school sponsored events that involve mass gatherings will be canceled through at least April 13.
- All DVUSD athletic activities (including practices) are suspended through at least March 28. The Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA) will provide further guidance before March 28.
- The District has suspended all rentals of our buildings and fields through at least April 13, 2020.
- All student travel has been suspended through the end of the school year unless guidance from local and state health agencies changes. The exception to this is in-state travel for high school athletic competitions if the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA) chooses to continue the spring athletic seasons.
- Due to the social distancing recommendations of public health experts, no live audience will be permitted at the March 24 regular meeting of the DVUSD Governing Board. The public comment section has been suspended as well. You may watch the board meeting live (or recorded) by going to DVUSD on Livestream. The meeting begins at 7 pm on March 24.
- The topic of COVID-19 can be a difficult one for parents to discuss with children. We have posted tips for talking to children about COVID-19 on our website.
We know there are still a lot of questions moving forward, such as when and how school will continue and whether school events will be canceled such as prom and graduation. Unfortunately, we aren’t able to make any decisions about these items at this time. As we receive more guidance from local, state, and federal officials we will be able to make better and more informed decisions. We will provide our next update on or before Thursday, March 26.
We realize this is a hard time, and we are thinking of you and your family. Our team is making every effort to continue supporting our #extraordinary students and families. We are fortunate to be part of the Deer Valley community where we can take care of each other.
Curtis Finch, PhD
If you have questions that are not answered on this web page or the web pages to left, please send an email to [email protected].