Lane closures began Jan. 5 on I-17 between Jomax Road and Deer Valley Road as crews get serious about construction of new overpasses for Happy Valley Road and Pinnacle Peak Road. One ongoing impact: “A stretch of the southbound I-17 HOV lane in the area will be closed for approximately one year as part of the improvement project,” ADOT said in a statement.
This article will be updated as ADOT provides new lane-closure information. The latest details, as of Jan. 9:
- Northbound I-17 narrowed to two lanes overnight between Loop 101 and Jomax Road from 10 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, to 5 a.m. Friday, Jan. 11, for temporary barrier-wall installation. The northbound I-17 on-ramp at Deer Valley Road will be closed.
- Northbound I-17 narrowed to two lanes overnight between Deer Valley and Happy Valley roads: 10 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday (Jan. 9) for barrier wall placement.
- Also, sections of the right or left shoulders of the interstate will closed while the 2-year project is underway.
The $50 million project, detailed last summer and slated for completion in fall 2020, will create a relatively new traffic-pattern concept called a “diverging diamond traffic interchange,” or DDI, at Happy Valley Road. The roundabouts will be removed. DDIs installed in other states have been shown to increase traffic flow and reduce severe accidents. [See Videos Below]
Happy Valley Road will be widened to three through lanes in each direction over I-17, with right- and left-turn lanes. Two new, parallel bridges will be constructed.
The new Pinnacle Peak Road interchange will be a traditional diamond interchange but capacity will be increased.
The project also involves extending a fourth general purpose lanes in each direction of I-17 between Deer Valley and Happy Valley roads.
For more information, along with ADOT responses to safety concerns voiced by North Phoenix residents, see our earlier story detailing the project.
- Learn More About the Diverging Diamond Interchange
- PRICKETT: Good Riddance to the Roundabouts
- I-17 to Get 3rd Southbound Lane from Black Canyon City to Anthem